2010-01-10

CuteSpace - progress

Distoring the shape and proportion of the mass of cute spheres to make them ugly using Lattice command.






Distoring also by stretching points to make original shape unrecognizable but was not satisfied with the result. So I looked up ugly on the internet and by chance found a a story about an art exhibition called "Pretty Ugly" and in this exhibition was the work of Takashi Murakami. So I did some research and saw some of his work. He is considered a pop artist who uses anime and manga as his inspiration. Some of his pieces are what I would consider cute while having a dark side. So, after looking at his work I came to the conclusion that a more compatible opposite to "CUTE"would be "EVIL" and not UGLY. I say this because what one considers ugly or beautiful or ugly can be very subjective. Also I think that EVIL is more suitable because it implies danger which is something a mother coming to a park is always worrying about, which I like because it is a little subversive.



Takashi Murakami - Unknown



Takashi Murakami - TanTanBo



Takashi Murakami - Plush character (supercute Panda Bear with sharp claws)



Takashi Murakami - DOB's March 1995, retrospective at Guggenheim Bilbao


So to introduce the concept of EVIL into CUTE, I distored one of the spheres in create a point.



This point can be a sharp tooth or a horn or a claw.
Therefore combining the ideas of CUTE (safe, soft, innocent, playful) with EVIL (dangerous, hard, sharp, serious, threatening) is the conclusion I came to when working today. So the next step would be to transform cute things into dangerous things through various forms of manipulation including distoring the shapes, materials and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment